Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Brief Introduction

I mostly want to let the entries in this blog speak for themselves, but here's a quick mission statement.  I expect to use this blog for two major topics.

First, the discussion of politics, usually tied in to American politics because I'm an American and I want to convince you our politics suck (probably easy) and that you should listen to me about fixing them (probably much harder.)  I'll label these entries with the "politics" label.  I don't have any training in politics beyond a BA from a well-respected college, including many classes in politics, history, and philosophy.  I do follow it with some enthusiasm, or perhaps more accurately morbid fascination, and keep up my own readings in the field.  I also believe that while a generally educated population is ideal for democracy, specialized education shouldn't be required to have well developed political ideas.

Second, I will discuss the design and development of games (mostly traditional card, board, and role-playing games, though design-wise the distinction between those and video games can be pretty minor.)  This has been a passion of mine for ages, and I'm lucky enough to work in the industry, both for pay as a retailer, and for occasional pay but mostly passion as a publisher.  I've worked with several small indy presses over the years, and have design and development credits on several games, both as part of a team and as sole designer.  I hope people will find my insights on this subject interesting.  I'll label these entries with the "games" label.

I've decided to call the blog Systems and Worlds because I am excellent with names until it matters and then blank, and also because, to me, setting large parts of the world to a system is an idea that unifies both politics and game design.  I hope you enjoy.

Finally, a note on identity: I'm not particularly interested in concealing my identity, and expect many of my readers will know me by name, but I've kept this post intentionally vague because getting autobiographical is generally against the point - I've included what I think is relevant to establish my interest in and experience with my subject matter.  Additional questions are certainly welcome in the comments, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment